Summer Cruise Proposal 2015 – East Coast
The Sailing Committee proposes a 2015 Summer Cruise based on the East Coast of England, likely to commence from Haslar on 29 June – just after the Round-the-Island race on 27 June.
There are some good, general reasons for holding the cruise in this area:
1. It is a popular sailing area but one that is unfamiliar to many PYC members;
2. It is easily accessible to members by rail and car;
3. There are numerous possible crew-change points;
4. The sailing is generally suitable for Club Inshore skippers, but with opportunities for those with appropriate experience to sail more widely;
5. There should be no major budgetary considerations;
6. Access to general repair facilities and chandleries is easy.
For inshore skippers, a good week could be spent simply between the Walton Backwaters and Woodbridge (up the River Deben), and taking in the Rivers Stour and Orwell.
A more extensive cruise might be from Burnham-on-Crouch to Lowestoft or even as far as Wells-next-the-Sea.
And for the offshore skipper, Ostende is just an over-night sail away with time for a cruise to Vlissingen and possibly Middelburg.
Detailed proposals are being drawn up for consideration – an outline is given in the October Newsletter, and further details in PYC Member DocumentsSailing Programme.